Sunday 2 September 2012

Meet Library Assistant Laaiqah


Laaiqah and the grade R's putting on their best 'granny' performance

Hi, I'm Mrs Laaiqah Safter, I'm an assistant librarian at Woodlands Primary School. I attended Woodlands Primary myself and now my children also come here. It is an honor working with the kids here and knowing that the library is giving them so much. I had an amazing experience today with the grade R learners. I always try to pick a book that is relevant and interactive for them. I know that for many of these learners they do not always have stable environments at home but grandmothers are usually a permanent fixture in a child's life, so what better than a book called 'My grandma is wonderful'. I kind dressed like a grandma, with my glasses, a scarf and my granny cane, I even tried walking (hobbling) like a grandma. WOW! The enjoyed it so much and they couldn't wait to join in with the actions. It is so important at this age to make a story come to life, awaken their imaginations and give some context which they can put it in. We finished off our lesson in making cards for our granny's. It was a great reading, acting and art session all rolled into one and their behaviors was top marks! It is so exciting for us that these children in grade R will now go through school with a library right on their doorstep and really the only way is up from here!





By Laaiqah

GCU Library Assistant


1 comment:

  1. Hi glad to hear all your news re the new library and glad that all the children are enjoying this new experience keep up the good work!! All my friends are keeping up with what you are all doing and wishing you well. Jennifers Mum

    ReplyDelete