Monday 22 October 2012

Rope Skipping girls at the Nationals!


My name is Aasheekah Lakay and I am 13 years old. I am part of the GCU rope skipping team and I am on the highest level in our group, level 4. We had a Western Province competition where myself and some of the other girls qualified for the Nationals in Pretoria. After some last minute fund raising at our local mall we set of on the 29th September on the long bus journey to Pretoria. Some of us were a little sick from all of the travelling, the heat and from the excitement for such an amazing opportunity and a trip none of us had been on before. We arrived the next day at the Holiday Express, our home for the next few days, it was a really nice place and the breakfast was really lekker!
The first competitions was for levels 1-3, our team did well winning 3 silver and 3 bronze medals! The next competition was for my level 4-6, unfortunately I did not get a medal but the experience is something I will never forget. The competition has inspired me to push more so that next time maybe I can get a medal.


The week ended on the 5th October where we made our way back on the long trip again. This time we were all used to it and none of us got sick. We arrived early on Saturday morning all tired form the journey. I just want to thank Mario and all of the GCU group for what they have done for us. I really appreciate is and if it wasn't for GCU we wouldn't have rope skipping and we wouldn't have this opportunity to go on these amazing trips.













By Aasheeqah Lakay
GCU rope skipping team

No comments:

Post a Comment