Tuesday 16 October 2012

Trip of a lifetime!


Codi on on the right with one of his fellow leaders
I just want to take this time to thank all the people of Laureus who gave me the opportunity to work with such amazing group of leaders.

We started off the second phase of the YES program with all the leaders coming together at sport science, I was completely excited to see my fellow leaders from the different parts of South Africa. When we arrived my heart was jumping with joy to be in the same room as the man who made all of this possible Mthokozisi Madondo.

The toughest part of the whole training was waking up at 7am and finishing at 18H00. Some mornings I was so tired but the smell of Gita’s eggs always got me out of bed. Most of the leaders (mostly me) were complaining about the long hours of work and short hours break but at the end off the day we pulled threw and was joking about what went wrong at night.

The training we had with all the people and organizations was great. Personally it helped me a lot and it helped all of the other leaders. From Gita, Prudence, Marvin, Rubel, CRS, sport trust, sport science, George and everyone who I didn't mention thanks for taking time out to be with us, you guys really inspired me.


On Friday 5th October  we came to GCU, it was fun being around the boys and girls again after a whole week. On Saturday we went to waves for change the surfing project and for the first time I was on a surfboard it was really cool. Getting into the wet suit was toughest part. I had a 16 year old boy teaching me how to surf I was completely bad at it kept on falling off the board but he kept on encouraging me. The Sunday we went to Table Mountain, it was really difficult going up but with the help of the leaders we all pulled threw.
 
The day everyone had to leave to there home town was the sad part of all the 10 days. Leaders were crying even me (but didn't show). I cant wait for the next time we re-unit I am counting the days already.


By Codi Damons
GCU Head Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment