Sunday 17 March 2013

Who can fit in a big big box?

Acting out a story really brings it to life!

The past two weeks I have been reading the story of the big big box with my 1st group of grade 2’s. I and the class was excited because I used two boxes to demonstrate my story. I had a big and a small box. When the kids came in I read the story to them and then explained that we were going to act out the story by using the boxes! As I read, children one by one piled into the box to illustrate the story, they were so excited. It was very funny to see how they got in the box, some feet first some head first and then got stuck turning around. Eventually the box broke because of all the excitement but one thing for sure it bought the story alive.
Rearranging sentences using students!
I could see that they understood the story better using props, so I’ve learnt if you let the kids ‘do’ the story they will understand much more so I am definitely going to try and implement this more into my lessons in the future.
This has been my first time tutoring in this way and whilst it has been a challenge the improvement in the children and the fun I’ve had has been great. I have learnt so much that I can apply to other areas of my work and im excited to see how the second term develops.

Bean bag game - student throw a bean bag to the word I say















By Laaiqah Safter
Grade 2 tutor

No comments:

Post a Comment